World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Painted churches of Northern Moldavia

Article Id: WHEBN0010662911
Reproduction Date:

Title: Painted churches of Northern Moldavia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Romania, Eastern Orthodox church architecture
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Painted churches of Northern Moldavia

UNESCO World Heritage Site
Churches of Moldavia
Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List
Type Cultural
Criteria i, iv
Reference UNESCO region Europe and North America
Inscription history
Inscription 1993 (17th Session)

The Churches of Moldavia are eight Romanian Orthodox churches in Suceava County, Romania in northern Moldavia, built approximately between 1487 and 1583.

Since 1993, they have been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Church of the Resurrection Suceviţa Monastery was added to the site in 2010.

Name Village Built
Church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist Arbore 1503
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin of the former Humor Monastery Humor 1530
The Church of the Annunciation of the Moldoviţa Monastery Moldovița 1532
Church of the Holy Rood of Pătrăuți Pătrăuți 1487
Church of St. Nicholas and the Catholicon of the Probota Monastery Probota 1531
Church of St. George Suceava 1522
Church of St George of the former Voroneţ Monastery Voroneț 1487
Church of the Resurrection Suceviţa Monastery Sucevița 1583

Other remarkable churches in the area are:

Name Village Built
Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit Dragomirna Monastery Dragomirna 1609
Church of the Transfiguration Slatina Monastery Slatina 1554-61

See also

External links

  • UNESCO: Churches of Moldavia World Heritage Site
  • Cultural Heritage and Religious Tourism in Bucovina and Moldavia
  • The Painted Wonders of Bucovina
  • Monasteries of Bucovina
  • Ten Wonders of Bucovina- article with images.
  • Painted Churches in Bukovina





This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.