World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Crema, Lombardy

Article Id: WHEBN0002252238
Reproduction Date:

Title: Crema, Lombardy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of U.S. Pergolettese 1932, U.S. Pergolettese 1932, Cremona, Angelo Bacchetta, Lorenzo Degeri
Collection: Cities and Towns in Lombardy
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Crema, Lombardy

Crema
Comune
Città di Crema
A view of a central street in Crema.
A view of a central street in Crema.
Coat of arms of Crema
Coat of arms
Crema is located in Italy
Crema
Location of Crema in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Lombardy
Province Cremona (CR)
Frazioni Santa Maria dei Mosi, Santo Stefano in Vairano, Vergonzana
Government
 • Mayor Stefania Bonaldi (PD)
Area
 • Total 34 km2 (13 sq mi)
Elevation 79 m (259 ft)
Population (31 December 2012)[1]
 • Total 34,144
 • Density 1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Cremaschi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 26013
Dialing code 0373
Patron saint Saint Pantaleo
Saint day June 10
Website Official website
Santa Maria della Croce.

Crema (Italian: ) is a town and comune in the province of Cremona, in the region of Lombardy in northern Italy. It is built along the river Serio at 43 kilometres (27 mi) from Cremona. It is also the seat of the Catholic Bishop of Crema, who gave to Crema the title of city. Crema's main economic activities traditionally relate to agriculture and cattle breeding, but Its manufactures include now cheese, iron products and cotton and wool textiles. Inhabitants are called cremaschi, singular cremasco.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Notable people 3
  • Transportation 4
  • Sister cities 5
  • References 6

History

Crema's origins have been linked to the Lombard invasion of the 6th century CE, the name allegedly deriving from the Lombard term Krem meaning "little hill", though this is doubtful since it does not lie significantly above the surrounding countryside. Other linguistic roots may suggest an older origin, in particular the Indo-European root meaning a boundary (cf. Ukraine, crêt). Other authorities trace its foundation back to the 4th century CE, when Milan was capital of the Western Roman Empire. According to another version, it was instead an even more ancient Celtic or Etruscan settlement.

Crema first appears in historical documents in the 11th century as a possession of the counts of Camisano. It was then ruled by Boniface, margrave of Tuscany, and his daughter Matilde. In 1098, Matilde gave the town as a gift to the Bishop of Cremona. During this period the prosperity of Crema's territory began as agriculture was boosted and the Humiliates' Order introduced the processing of wool, which was to be the area's main economic activity until the 19th century.

In 1159, after it had signed an alliance with Milan against the Ghibelline Cremona, Crema was besieged, stormed and destroyed by the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. The siege of Crema was marked by several episodes of brutality. The Germans hung some Cremaschi prisoners to their siege machines hoping the defenders would not fire against their fellows. However, this expedient did not work, and turned the battle into a slaughter.

After the Peace of Constance (1185) the city was allowed to be rebuilt as a castrum ("castle"). Henry VI gave it back to his allied Cremonese. A period as a free Commune followed, during which, however, the tendency to partisan struggles, typical of the northern Italian communes of that age, soon showed. In any case, the city was reinforced with new walls, ditches and gates (1199), and a network of canals further improved agriculture. In the 13th century Crema was also enriched with its famous cathedral and the Palazzo Pretorio.

The communal independence ended in 1335, when the city surrendered to Republic of Venice.

As a Venetian inland province, Crema obtained numerous privileges and was safe from the economic decline of the nearby Duchy of Milan under the Spanish rule. It kept a substantial autonomy, which allowed a program of new buildings. These included a new line of walls, the rebuilding of the Palazzo Comunale (1525–1533), the Palazzo della Notaria, now Palazzo Vescovile.

The 17th century saw the beginning of the decadence of the city, caused by the decline of its industrial activities, although agriculture continued to flourish. In 1796 an Academy of Agriculture was founded. After the fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797, the French army deposed the last podestà and created a municipality. At first Crema formed the province of Crema-Lodi, but later it was annexed to the province of Cremona. In 1814, Napoleon’s Empire fell apart, and Crema became an Austrian possession.

Crema was annexed to Italy in the Kingdom of Italy and, after 1946, of the Italian Republic.

Main sights

Crema's main monuments include:

Notable people

Transportation

Crema is served by a railway station on the Treviglio–Cremona railway, with regional trains.

There are three national roads connecting the city: SS 415 to Milan and Cremona; SS 591 to Piacenza and Bergamo; and SS 235 to Brescia and Pavia. The nearest motorway exits are the one of Lodi-Pieve Fissiraga, on the Autostrada A1 and the one of Romano di Lombardia on the Autostrada A35 - BreBeMi, opened in July 2014.

Sister cities

References

  1. ^ Population data from Istat


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.